APPENDIX 1: RESOURCE 1.1
About Billions in Change
Billions in Change is a documentary released in October 2015 that follows the work of a man named Manoj Bhargava, who became very wealthy after creating a product called 5-hour ENERGY®. Within just a few years, Mr. Bhargava had made billions of dollars. But, instead of keeping the money and spending it on himself, which he says would have ruined his life and his family’s life, he chose to use it for the greater good. In 2012 he signed the Giving Pledge, a public commitment made by over 150 millionaires and billionaires around the world to give the majority of their wealth to philanthropic causes.
At first Mr. Bhargava chose to donate his money to charity, with a focus on charities in India. But after a couple of years of being disappointed by the absence of real solutions to the problems those charities were purportedly trying to solve, he decided to try another tactic. He funded an invention shop and gave it the task of creating products that could help solve some of the world’s most pressing problems.
When he looked at all of the problems in the world, he realized that they all came down to just a few fundamental things, namely clean energy, clean water, and healthcare.
And that if he focused on those fundamentals, everything else would have a chance of improving.
This documentary, called Billions in Change, is about Manoj Bhargava’s story and a few of the products his invention shop has developed to date.
APPENDIX 1: RESOURCE 1.2
Billions in Change Film Facts
Instructions: Read through the following questions. While watching the Billions in Change film, take notes on key names, terms, and ideas. After the film, answer each question completely on a separate sheet of paper or in a digital document.
- Who is Manoj Bhargava, and what is he best known for creating?
- What is Mr. Bhargava’s net worth, and what is he doing with his money?
- What’s the name of Manoj Bhargava’s invention shop, and where is it located?
- In general, what are Mr. Bhargava’s inventions intended to do?
- What does Mr. Bhargava look for in someone new that he’s hiring for his invention shop?
- According to Mr. Bhargava, what are the largest areas of work for the future?
- Approximately how many people in the world either have no electricity or electricity only 2-3 hours per day?
- What is Free Electric and how does it work?
- What types of things can be powered by Free Electric?
- What type of material is being tested to harness energy from the Earth’s mantle, and what are some of the properties of that material?
- What is the name of the invention that makes clean water from saltwater, and how does it work?
- How does external counterpulsation (ECP) work to make people healthier?
- What organization will distribute the inventions to the poor?